Thursday, October 23, 2008

Katie, Scott, Winston & a new family member!

August 2008 was going to be a big month for us, though we didn't know it yet. After a going away party for our friends in Columbus we decided that we should stop by and "look" at a breeder that happened to have golden doodle puppies; just like Winston. I've come to find out that you can't go and look at a puppy. It's not possible. If you're looking, you're buying. We welcomed Lily into our family and we had a full house! We had Lily for 2 days when we decided to take a pregnancy test...
---

Lily

But here's the full story. Truth be told, Scott and I had started "trying" back in December of 2007. Unfortunately, we didn't have much luck. For some reason I just knew that it would take us a while so we decided to keep it a secret from everyone. It was tough but also exciting as it was something that only Scott and I could share. Every month we would think - this is it! But the tests just kept coming back negative. A few doctor appointments and months of jumping through hoops and we were finally on track. During the month of August (before we got Lily) as I look back I realized that I really should have known...

My first clue: hunger!
One night in August Scott made us a big healthy dinner. Fresh cut watermelon, huge salads with vegetables from our garden, and appetizers. After dinner we headed to the couch for an evening of our favorite television. --About 15 minutes in-- I suddenly looked up at Scott and asked if we had any fried chicken.
He simply replied - "Of course not, we never have fried chicken, why do you ask?" Me - "I'm hungry for some fried chicken and I don't understand why we don't have any." Him - "How could you possibly be hungry after the huge dinner we just ate? Just relax." Me - "Fine. Whatever." --20 minutes later-- Me - "I'm going to McDonald's do you want anything?" Him - "Wow, are you serious? No I don't want anything." --10 minutes later-- I returned with chicken nuggets, fries, and coke. I ate my meal happily on the couch and fell sound asleep directly after.

My second clue: Irritability
One day while I was napping on the couch Winston jumped up and woke me up. Instead of cuddling with him, I started crying hysterically for absolutely no reason.

My third clue: Postive!
On Monday August 25, 2008 Scott and I met at home for lunch. He didn't come empty-handed but instead with 2 pregnancy tests. He said that since I was late and we were both noticing changes he couldn't wait any longer and I had to take the test right then and there! Reluctantly I did. I hated that test because I always failed and it was so depressing but something about this time was different - he bought the tests not me. So I take the test I look at it and I only see one line. Not at all suprised I tell him it's negative. He wants to see the test and as he is looking at it he says "Maybe you didn't wait long enough." "Well, I'm getting pretty good at these I think I've waited long enough" I said as I look down at the stick and see the faintest second line anyone has ever seen. I say to him - "Do you see that?" He says "Yeah, I see a second line but it's so faint - has it ever looked like that before?" "I don't know!" I scream as I take the test outside to see if I can tell better in daylight. "I think you're pregnant" Scott says, take another test. "I can't, I don't have to pee" I say as I beging to chug water. A few minutes later I take another test and the same thing happens. So, like two teenagers I call the number on the back of the pregnancy test box. I'll never forget that recording - "two lines no matter how faint the second line indicates a positive pregnancy". We both went nuts. We didn't believe it and so I scheduled an appointment with my doctor that day to do a blood test and make sure. Luckily they saw me and confirmed that indeed I was pregnant but that it was early so that probably caused the faint line! They asked me to make sure that I re-tested a few days later and this time there was no mistaking that second line! I finally aced that test that I had been failing for months!We are over the moon about welcoming our new little one into our family in May of 2008!
---
It's impossible to see the second line in the first two unless you magnify but it really is there! Luckily the last test shows for sure!

No comments: